About Us

History of HNJ

The faith and zeal of a small group of devout Roman Catholic pioneers began in the 1880's in Essex.  In 1887 the first Roman Catholic Church was built and located on the corner of Russell and Centre Streets.  By 1942 the parishioners outgrew the Church and the congregation built a new Church on the corner of Fairview Ave. W. and Talbot St. S.  With the foresight of Fr. Ignatius O'Neil, our first resident Priest, a convent, school, rectory and bus transportation were established and continue today.  


The following were Parish Priests who resided in Essex:


Rev. Ignatius O'Neil      1936 to 1958


Rev. Dan Monaghan    1958 to 1970


Rev. Francis Mulkern    1970-1980


Rev. Martin Johnson     1980-1986


Rev. Mike Parent           1986-2002


Rev. Larry Brunet            2002-2011


Rev. Robert Rocheleau    2011-2012                                                                                                                     


Rev. Francis Thekkumkattil 2013-2014                                                                                                            


Rev. David Boutette 2014 to present


Holy Name of Jesus Church is truly blessed with thousands of parishioners past and present who continue to share the Good News in our parish community.


Serving our God and Community since 1887


Honouring our past, celebrating our present, embracing our future in faith!