Quick Links

 

Father Boubat Leaves

 

Father Molphy Arrives.

 

"Father Boubat was not left in Ingersoll too long to enjoy the fruits of his labor of love. Reverend Father Molphy came to take his place and

remained here until his death in 1904. Typically Irish, Father Molphy endeared himself to all with whom he came in contact, including members of all faiths.

Excerpt from Dr. Henderson's memoirs, as written by Mr. J. T. Fitzgerald in 1921: "Chas. L. Bailey, one of Toronto's leading business .men of today, once told the writer: The heart of Father Molphy knew no bounds. I quite well remember meeting him with his horse, on the street. For the most part he drove a fine horse and two-wheeled gig. He would ask me numerous times to go for a ride with him. I would never know where we were going until we would stop in front of some poor person's hovel, very often Protestant and without a

word the priest would take the basket from under the seat and enter the house. He would come out without the basket and I was never told what the basket contained'. Thus speaks Mr. Bailey of the beloved priest.”

 

 

Reverend J. Molphy

 

Father Molphy is buried in Sacred Heart Cemetery. Father Northgraves was curate to Father Molphy, and the latter priest died in 1904.

Father Connolly, another native of the Emerald Isle, was to follow Father Molphy. Kind, quick-witted, with the traditional fiery Irish temper. Father was loved by all. He, himself, was especially fond of the children, although he was strict with them. He kept a switch of

sorts in the vestry, and if a wrong answer was given in one of his catechism classes, the "tool" of punishment was brought into play. The recipient of such punishment knew that he or she would be rewarded with an orange, a piece of candy or even money after the class was over.

When Father Connolly died, following a lengthy illness, the loss was felt — not only by the Catholic population of the town, but also by his many friends from other denominations.

Reverend Father John Hogan, who had assisted Father Connolly for a time, became Administrator. He was succeeded by Reverend Thomas Ford, who was Administrator, until Reverend Father J. N. Gnam was

appointed Pastor in 1910.

 

Father Gnam Arrives

Reverend Father Gnam, of German descent, had a keen mind in the financial field. While he was very generous with his own money, he "shopped for a bargain" with Parish funds. To find a suitable property for a permanent Catholic School was his priority. The facilities being used were over-crowded and out-dated and something had to be done quickly to remedy the situation. Father Gnam had his eye on the Rumsey property, which abutted the almost-complete church holdings. One thing he had not counted on, was the opposition he would meet from not only some of the parishioners, but also the owners of the house in question. They were averse to selling more of their estate to Catholics.

Legend has it that the good Sisters of St. Joseph "planted" a medal of St. Joseph on said property, as a symbol of faith that the deal would be completed.

 

 

 

The Rumsey home was a sturdy, white brick residence and Father Gnam could visualize a fine school, with very little renovation. But, as always, opposition came from many directions. The majority preferred that a new school be built, but after many, many heated discussions, this good priest and his minority of The property was acquired and with a very simple remodelling, became the new Sacred Heart School, which served its pupils well for many years. Many of the men and women in the Parish today were taught the three R's, and some their first two years of high school, in Sacred Heart School. Father Gnam kept church property in excellent condition and the spiritual growth of the Parish flourished. When Father Gnam was appointed to Chatham in 1921, Sacred Heart Parish lost a most dedicated priest and Ingersolllost a good friend.

 

Father Fuerth Comes

 

 

When Reverend Father Fuerth came to Ingersoll, money was hard to come by. There were no flowers or shrubs on the church property, the school grounds were in need of filling in and levelling off. In a short time a tennis court and a lighted bowling green came into existence. The backyard of the house was impassable in spring and fall and there was no garage. This was built up with cinders and a paved entrance to enter from two directions. A steam-heated garage for two cars was erected and four properties on John Street were purchased. The house was substantial in structure and well-built, although far from modern by today's standards. It was insulated steel doors and windows, as well as carpeting, were provided. A walkway, glass enclosed to protect from wintry blasts, provided an entrance to the church from the house. Most of the improvements were concentrated on the church. A new steam heating system was installed. The outside brick was first painted and some years later was cleaned. Four large turrets at the base of the tower were removed because of deterioration of the brick and certain places in the walls were rebricked, as well as pointing done. The interior of the church was decorated twice, and a terrazzo floor was laid in the body of the church. New pews were installed and the Holy Communion railing was moved forward to accommodate a larger sanctuary space and a longer railing. New quarter cut oak furniture for the sanctuary and the floor was twice covered with new carpeting. The hallway and the vestry were given needed attention, and a proper baptistry was installed at the rear of the church. Vestments and altar equipment were kept in good condition and carrara marble was made to cover the three platforms and steps of the three altars.

The old pipe organ, hand-pump and over eighty years old, was replaced by an electric, used modern organ in 1947. Four bells, hydro-controlled, and from Holland, were installed in the tower and these also take care of the Angelus. The bells were the personal gift of Monsignor Fuerth. All the buildings, except the church, were connected with the town's sewer system, and four hundred and

thirty-three feet of natural stone fence, including two archways, were built along Thames Street. This wall has been referred to as the 'great wall of Ingersoll'.

 

The practice of remembering deceased relatives and friends by having High Masses offered for the repose of their souls was encouraged by Father Fuerth. So much so, that today (1980) all High Masses requested cannot be said at Sacred Heart Church. When Ingersoll and district was created a Deanery in 1956, Father Fuerth became the first Dean of Ingersoll. ; In 1959, Dean Fuerth was elevated to the rank of Monsignor. A pipe with the stub of a lighted cigar in it was Monsignor's constant companion. Repairing old clocks was his hobby. The mantel in his office held a conglomeration of time pieces — every size, every vintage, some ticking, but with no co-ordination as to time, some silent.

Another article, synonymous with Monsignor Fuerth, was "Mr. Armor", a life-size suit of armor. Just how many children, as well grown-ups, were 'spied' on by this figure, as they entered the office for counselling, reprimanding or just a friendly chat, could not be counted. When it was announced, suddenly, in 1961 that Monsignor Fuerth was being retired, the news was received with mixed feelings. He had become a legend in Sacred Heart Parish. Although he never had enjoyed really good health, he shouldered the burdens of looking after Parish needs, leaving only the most minor duties to the young, energetic and most willing assistants who were with him during his forty year tenure.

 

Father J. E. Brisson

Reverend Father J. E. Brisson had been Assistant in Woodstock — to Reverend Father Phelan. At the age of 39, when appointed Pastor of Ingersoll, Father Brisson had not been born when Monsignor Fuerth came to Ingersoll as Pastor. Father Brisson was energetic, innovative and thrived on challenge Sacred Heart Parish in Ingersoll provided just the challenge that he most enjoyed. The church property had been kept in repair, but was out-dated and very much in need of a face-lift. VATICAN II was in progress, and many changes in the liturgy and the role of the people were being recommended. The year was 1961, and Reverend Father J. N. Bagatto, who had been Assistant under Monsignor Fuerth, remained with the new Pastor. These two priests, dedicated first and foremost to the salvation of souls were often referred to as a "good team". Each knew his duty and carried it out in a most amicable manner. Bulldozers were the order of the day on part of the church property. An old shed, built before the turn of the century and which had served its purpose well, was the first to go. The back yard of the church and the rectory was a conglomeration of weeds, small clumps ot perennials, bushes and grass here and there, extending through to John Street. Before many weeks went by, it was all levelled and prepared for a badly-needed church parking lot. When seen today, paved, with a median of green grass and beds of flowers, it is difficult to visualize what it was once. A beautiful statue of Our Blessed Mother stands guard in the parking lot and it is lighted at night. Truly, a most inspiring sight!

The front lawn of the house was cleaned up; the fish pond was filled in; shrubs and sprigs of trees and bushes removed; parts of the lawn sodded and re-seeded. Soon a fresh, green carpet graced the approach to the rectory. When Father Brisson felt he had won the confidence of the parishioners, he introduced the system of tithing. This caught on very quickly and soon Sunday collections began to climb.

The inside of the church, while magnificent in structure, was dark and dingy — dark pews, dark altar furniture and over-sized frames on the Stations of The Cross. While the grounds were being put in order, the inside was getting its face-lift. The church walls and the ceiling were painted; the pews were sanded and finished in a light shade; the frames were removed from the Stations of The Cross and the pictures of The Stations repainted, the arches on either side of the main altar were removed, thus leaving the centre part as a back drop. The old altar was replaced by a new Italian marble altar, the gift of James Henderson, one of the oldest parishioners and this altar faced the congregation. A new pulpit replaced the high-rise one; the altar railing was shortened and replaced by a marble one. Green carpet was installed in the sanctuary, complemented by gold drapes on the back drop.

Then to the sacristy. New cupboard replaced the outdated ones; wardrobes were built for the altar boys' cassocks and surplices and new wash basins were installed.

A new heating system was installed in the church and new wrought-iron gates to the baptistry. The old vestibule at the front of the church was replaced by glass doors, as well as glass doors at the other two front entrances. The old confessionals at the back of the church gave way to two new ones, situated at the front of the church.

While all these material benefits were being taken care of, the spiritual life of the Parish was by no means forgotten. Excellent, thought-provoking sermons; Forty Hours Devotion yearly; Missions and special speakers as well as loving care of the sick, the shut-ins and those with terminal illnesses were all part of the ministry. As the tired, old rectory looked on, it was as if it was saying "What about me?" Eventually, its turn came for the wrecker's hammer. The house was demolished and on the same site, the present lovely new rectory was built. Electrically-heated, with electronic garage doors, it is attached to the church. Many generous donations were forthcoming for this project. The three offices, the dining room, the appliances for the convenience of the house-keeper, were all donated by families and individuals. A special apartment for the house-keeper was built in the new rectory. Open House was held to mark the formal opening and various couples from the Parish were asked to act as guides and hosts and hostesses in the well-furnished rooms.

 

 

Reverend Father Brisson

 

In 1965, Reverend Father Bagatto was appointed Pastor of one of the London churches, and Reverend Father Joseph Mariani became Associate Pastor of Sacred Heart. Father Mariani was a most learned man, having five languages at his command, but most of all, he was a humble, dedicated priest, with his prime concern — the salvation of souls. He was unselfishly active, visiting the sick and the shut-ins, parishioners' homes and the  schools. He brought much comfort to the terminally ill  and to the bereaved and grieving families. Father Mariani left Ingersoll in 1970, having been appointed Associate Pastor at St. Mary's Parish in Simcoe. Five short months later, he died in Chicago, where he was spending a short holiday.

 

 

By 1965, Sacred Heart included a church with a new look inside; a parking lot; a new rectory, plus three enlarged schools in the Parish. The next item on the agenda was the hall, which was badly in need of attention. Father Brisson had formed a Parish Council, made up primarily of the heads of the various organizations of the Parish, plus a few experienced men of the congregation. The purpose of this Council was to act as an Advisory Board, in matters pertaining to church property and its upkeep.

After much discussion, it was deemed advisable to demolish the old hall and erect a new one on the same site. The wrecking crew moved in, and in short order the ground was levelled. The sparkling new hall began to take shape — with its large auditorium, stage, a special meeting room and a deluxe kitchen, plus washrooms and cloak room. To say that this new hall is used is the understatement of the year. The formal opening of Henderson Hall took place in 1969 with a Parish dinner, to which interested citizens of the town were invited.

During Father Brisson's tenure here, the houses on the east side of John Street (which were already owned by Sacred Heart Parish) were demolished, to make way for a larger playground area for the school and more parking space.

The task for which Father Brisson had been appointed was now for all intents and purposes completed, and in July, 1970, he was appointed Pastor of St. Mary's Church in Tillsonburg."

 

Sacred Heart Henderson Parish Hall 1969

 

 

 

Monsignor V. H. Grespan

 

When Msgr. Grespan was appointed Pastor of Sacred Heart Church, Ingersoll, succeeding Father Brisson, he had already given quite a few years of service to the Diocese of London. Following his ordination in 1941, he had taken post-graduate studies in the Angelicum in Rome, obtaining a doctorate in Canon Law. For a brief period he had served as secretary to the then Apostolic Delegate in Ottawa, and afterwards moved to the Chancery Office of the Diocese of London, as Vice Chancellor and Chancellor "in spiritualibus" under Bishop Cody and Bishop Carter. It was while there that he was honored by Pope Paul who named him a Prelate of Honor.

After 16 years in the Chancery Office Msgr. Grespan, in 1968, was appointed Pastor of St. Mary's Church, London. He accepted this challenge eagerly and enjoyed his two years of service there.

Bishop Carter then appointed Msgr. Grespan to Sacred Heart Parish in 1970. Seen, over the past decade, as a firm, but fair disciplinarian with a marvellous sense of humour, his dedication to the Church and its people has gained the respect of the entire community.

Within the parish, he shares his impressive theological knowledge with people of all ages and provides comfort and counsel when needed as well as joining them in happy times. Within the town itself he is respected for his leadership qualities and appreciated for his friendliness and warm smile.

"Monsignor Grespan had inherited a sizeable debt on the new Hall, but with his well-known expertise, this debt was soon liquidated. When the Sisters of St. Joseph left Ingersoll in 1968, the Convent was rented as a private home and was later sold. The proceeds from this sale were credited to the Hall debt.

"The church roof repairs were carried out and the building was insulated. The green carpet and the gold back drop of the sanctuary were replaced with red broadloom and red back drop. The same red broadloom was installed on the stairway leading to the choir loft. The bricks on the outside of the church were cleaned. "

A new muted red carpet was installed in the sacristy and in the hallway leading to the Church. This project was carried out with financial assistance from the Catholic Women's League. This same organization also contributed substantially to the new look in the Church and the liquidation of the debt on the Hall.

The windows in the nave of the Church which had been donated by late parishioners, were badly in need of renovation or replacement. After much discussion, thought and estimates, it was found to be more economical to have them replaced. Shortly after this decision was announced, all eight windows were donated. They were installed in early 1972. The triple windows in the transepts beside the confessionals needed attention. They were found to be in fair condition, and could be cleaned and reinforced at one-third the cost ofnew ones. Accordingly this work was carried out in 1978, and was paid for by donations from ten interested parishioners. 

For some years, a new or renovated pipe organ had been a priority with Monsignor Grespan. As the centenary of Sacred Heart Parish drew nearer, enthusiasm accelerated and this became a main project. Again with much financial assistance from the Catholic Women's League and several private donations from parishioners, a new organ was within sight. Early in 1979, dismantling of the old organ was begun and soon the new organ graced the choir-loft. Strains from the new organ were first heard on Easter Sunday, April 15, 1979.

 

 

Fr. Campbell 1980 – 1987

 

 

 

While Father Campel was pastor at Sacred Heart, a number of changes were made to the church.

The pews were restored to their original wood finish. The stone wall between church and Sacred Heart school was removed. The original baptistry was transformed to a confessional room  to provide opportunity to have face to face confession, and the baptismal font moved to the front of the church. Renovations were made to the basement in the rectory. Much needed repairs were made to the tower. The back entrance of the church was renovated with south side door being removed and the wood entrance door replaced with glass doors. The first “Our Parish Family “ photo directory which was completed in 1985. The roof on Henderson Hall was replaced.

 

 

Fr. Crunican 1987-1992

 

 

 

During Father Crunican’s tenure as Pastor of  Sacred Heart Church a number of projects were completed. A handicapped ramp was installed at the back entrance of the church. Additional repairs were done to the tower. The Diocesan computer program was initiated into the parishes. Father Crunican introduced communion under both species to the parish. The “Renew” bible study program was introduced in our parish. The Renew program was a Bible Study that was open to all parishioners. Groups were formed and met at times convenient to each specific group.The Diocesan Pentacost 2000 fund raising program, was succesfully completed in the parish. The Pentacost 2000 program allocated 20% of the targeted amount to the parish, any funds raised above the target amount went directly to the parish, as a result $85,508.00 was available to Sacred Heart

 

 

Fr. Kaminski 1992 – 2006

 

 

 

The life story of Father Mitchell Kaminski is very unique.

To write about him, you can't help but wonder how the Providence of God guides human destinies.

 

Father Mitchell, the youngest son of four children of Andrew and Sophie, was born on January 3, 1930 near Nowogrodek (Eastern Poland). As a child, he looked forward to a normal life, but in September 1, 1939, at the outbreak of WWII, the German (Nazi) army invaded Poland from the West and on September 17, 1939, the Russian Red Army marched into Poland from the East, under the pretext of defending Poland from the invaders. Thus his native land had been partitioned and his peaceful homeland fell into the hands of the Communists (Soviet Union). From that moment on, his life has taken a different course. As he began his 4th elementary grade, suddenly the language was different and godless ideology was imposed upon the students. His normal childhood life has been interrupted. His father, who held a prominent position, when the Russians marched into Poland was taken away by the Russian soldiers and since then he never saw him again .His family later learned that eventually he had been whisked away to Siberia. They also learned that he died on the way out to Siberia. Although he was only 10 years old when the Russians imprisoned his father, in the middle of a bitterly cold night, on February 10, 1940, the Russians came again for his mother, himself, two older brothers, and his sister. They gave them an hour to dress up, to pack their essential belongings and took them to the railway station. They were herded into freight cars with many other neighbouring families. The cars that were designed for animals, not people, offered little protection from the wintry weather. While in transport to Siberia, the Polish people had to live on the bit of food they had grabbed in hurry, as they were being forced from their homes. Thousands upon thousands of families were deported to Archangelsk Region in Siberia and were settled in labour camps, where in subhuman conditions they tried to survive.

       His mother and older brother were forced to go out daily into a forest and to help with wood-cutting operations. The winters were heart breaking with snow waist deep but the labour gangs marched off to the forest to cut their quota of wood, nourished with only the smallest ration of food. A slice of bread was pretty well all of that commodity a person received each day; therefore people soon became "bags of bones". The children were forced to attend communist schools. Seeing how the communists acted and treated people, it was not difficult to build up resistance to any of their teachings. The situation and conditions that existed in Siberia left little hope to survive and become free.

       When German Army, in 1941, started to invade Russia, the Polish government in exile entered into the Polish-Russian agreement, signed between General W. Sikorski and J. Stalin. It was decided that from a quarter million of Polish army men retrieving from Germans, later captured by Russians and taken to Siberian labour camps, were to form a Polish army on Russian territories and together with Allied forces fight the common enemy. Shortly after the news has reached those labour camps in Siberia, all men who were able to bear arms were free to join the Polish army being formed in Southern Region, in Kazachstan.

       After the amnesty was announced, the journey from Siberia has begun, first for all the able men and eventually for family members of the men who joined the Polish army. Mitchell's courageous mother, two brothers and sister traveled to South of Russia to be near the Polish army, where his two older brothers joined this force. After close to two years they miraculously got out of there, crossed the border to Iran (formerly Persia) and settled in a camp just outside Teheran. Five months later, they were moved to a camp near Ahwaz, Persia, then after a two-day trip by train to a transitional camp near Karachi, India. From there they were transferred to a Polish Refugee Camp - Valivade, near Bombay, India, where a Polish settlement of 5000 people came into being and lasted till the end of the war. In all transitional refugee camps, Mitch attended improvised Polish schools, but in Valivade he completed his elementary education.

Here, another rainbow in his refugee life appeared. When the delegation of the Bishops from the United States visited refugee camps in India, they reported their findings to the U.S. Bishops Conference that in the refugee camps full of young people, there might be some vocations.

When Mitchell Kaminski was 15 years old, he was sent along with 30 other boys to the United States to attend school with their expenses defrayed by the Bishops Relief Fund. In November, 1945, he found himself at Orchard Lake, Michigan, where he spent four years at St. Mary's High School, then four years at St. Mary's College, where he obtained his B.A. degree. He decided to continue his education on the way to priesthood at S.S. Cyril and Methodius Seminary also at Orchard Lake. At the end of the fourth year of studying theology, he decided to join the London Diocese because at that time many Polish army veterans were immigrating to Canada and there was a great need of Polish speaking priests. He was ordained a priest at the Holy Redeemer College, Windsor, by Bishop John C. Cody in June 1958 for the Diocese of London. In the interim, the war was over and the Polish army was de-mobilized in England. His two brothers, who survived the conflict, were able now to bring their mother and sister to England from India. In April 1952, Mitchell sponsored his mother, sister and two brothers to settle in Michigan. His first appointment, in July 1958, was to newly established Our Lady of Victory Polish parish, in Chatham. He was also an assistant chaplain for Ursuline Sisters at "The Pines" and a chaplain at the General Hospital, in Chatham. In September 1960, he was transferred to St. Philip's Parish, Petrolia with mission churches: Holy Rosary, Wyoming and St. Ann's, Oils Springs. His appointment to St. Mary's, Woodstock, in September, 1962 - January, 1967 was very successful. His pastor was mostly away due to his sickness, so Father Mitchell assumed full responsibility for the parish. There were over 150 Polish families in Woodstock. His knowledge of his native tongue, which he speaks as fluently as English, stood him in a good stead. With the coming of the new liturgy and Vatican Council II decision that Masses could be said in the language of the people, the Polish Community sent the delegation to Bishop Emmet Carter, Bishop of London, asking that Fr. Kaminski be allowed to say a Mass in Polish language for them. Permission was granted and after an experimental period of six months, a Polish Mission was established in 1966, a year when Poland was celebrating 1000 years of Christianity. Eventually two priests replaced him: one as an assistant for St. Mary's and another to be in charge of the Polish Mission. In January, 1967, he was transferred to Holy Angels Parish, St. Thomas, where besides duties as assistant he took great interest in saying Mass for newly arriving Czechoslovakian refugees after 1968 Russian Invasion on Czechoslovakia, together with Polish parishioners.

       In June, 1969, he was transferred to St. Mary's, Tillsonburg with St. Peter's Mission in Norwich. Eighteen months later he was made Pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, Wingham with the mission church of St. Ambrose, Brussels.

       After three years up North, on December 1, 1973, he became Pastor of his first love, Our Lady of Victory Parish in Chatham. There, together with the parishioners he made great improvements to that church, conducted very successful Annual Bazaars and became engaged in sponsoring Polish refugees who left Poland due to the Marshall Law.

       When his turn was up to move on, in July 1983, he was appointed Pastor of Our Lady of Czestochowa Polish Parish, London. Here too, he made necessary improvements to the church not realizing that soon slightly enlarged church will not be able to accommodate a great influx of Polish refugees (close to 6000) that he sponsored to come to Canada. It took generosity and willingness to help Polish refugees, and not only Polish to settle in Canada. It is impossible to describe what it involved to sponsor such a large number of people.

       For his dedicated service to the people in his charge and his priestly zeal he has been made honorary Canon in his home diocese, Drohiczyn, Poland. Through his life he received other recognitions for the service to others.

       In June, 1992, Father Kaminski was transferred to Sacred Heart Parish, Ingersoll. It is a large territorial parish, established in 1838, before even Diocese of London came into existence, with a beautiful church in gothic style, built in 1878. He loved that parish.

       Everywhere he was appointed; he worked diligently with a great zeal and was appreciated by the faithful. Wherever he was a pastor, he always tried to improve spiritual and physical well being of the parish. Even just before he was asked to retire; he was instrumental in constructing easy access to the church and washroom for the handicapped.

       Because of his family residing in Michigan, he took residency in the apartment building near Holy Trinity Church, Windsor where he has been received warmly by the priests, Polish Ursuline Sisters and the faithful. He seems to feel at home.

 

 

Parish Priests at Sacred Heart

 

Reverend Fathers Veriotte, Burke, Mills, Lees, O'Dwyer, Quinlan 1832 to 1850 when the Parish was a Mission.

Reverend Father Michael Monohan  1850-52

Reverend Father A. Carrayon 1852-54

Reverend Father Robert Kerleher 1854-57

Reverend Father J. D. Ryan 1857-58

Reverend Father M. J. Lynch 1858-61

Reverend Father Louis Griffa 1861-64

Reverend Father A. Boubat 1864-66

Reverend Father J. A. Marshall 1866

Reverend Father Gabriel Volkert 1866-68

Reverend Father Joseph Bayard 1868-77

Reverend Father A. Boubat 1877-84

Reverend Father James Molphy 1884-95

Reverend Father James Cpnnolly 1895-1907

Reverend Father John Hogan 1907-1908 Administrator

Reverend Father Thomas Ford 1908-1910 Administrator

Reverend Father John L. Gnam 1910-1921

Reverend Monsignor A. Fuerth 1921-1961

Reverend Father J. E. Brisson 1961-1970

Reverend Monsignor V. H. Grespan 1970-1980

Reverend Father Charles C. Campbell 1980-1987

Reverend Father Paul Eugene Crunican 1987 –1992

Reverend Father Mitchell Kaminski 1992 – 2006

Reverend Father Terrence McNamara 2006 - 2009

Reverend Father Gilbert Simard 2009 -

 

Associate Pastors — 1970-80

Quite a number of Associate Pastors have been with Monsignor Grespan during the years, moving on after gaining valuable experience with him.

Father Joseph Mariani had left in 1970, to become Associate Pastor of St. Mary's in Simcoe. In the same year Monsignor Morrison, a native son of the Parish, came to Sacred Heart, after a long and distinguished career in the Diocese of London; but failing health forced him to give up within a year.

In 1971, Monsignor Grespan invited Father J. Klezjeck, a Dominican, who had been stationed at Holy Cross Mission in Woodstock, to come to Sacred Heart. However, Father Klezjeck remained in the Parish only nine months, and Monsignor Grespan carried on alone. Father Josef Denys assisted on weekends, and Father Mike Dalton of Sacred Heart Villa in Courtland, came to Sacred Heart Parish whenever his duties at the Villa permitted. In 1974, Father James Blonde was named Associate Pastor in Ingersoll, where he remained for two years. In 1976, he was appointed Pastor of Our Lady of Mercy Parish in Sarnia. Father Denys returned in 1976, as Associate Pastor, and stayed for a year before being assigned to St. Boniface's at Zurich. Father Robert Morrissey was named Associate Pastor in the Fall of 1977. Monsignor Grespan and Father Morrissey together look after the spiritual and temporal needs of the Parish.

 

Father Robert Morrissey

Coming to Sacred Heart in 1977, Father Morrissey brought, and still brings, to the Parish a youthfulness, a joie-de-vivre which has given to the Parish, especially to the young people, tremendous enthusiasm and gratitude for his work on their behalf. His main concern and responsibilities are with the youth, but he enjoys a good relationship with all members of the Parish.

 

Associate Pastors At Sacred Heart

 

Reverend Father Charles Tucker 1861

Reverend Father D. O'Donovan 1863

Reverend Father Nicholas Gahan 1870 and 1895

Reverend Father Henry B. Letz 1872

Reverend Father P. J. O'Shea 1873

Reverend Father James Scanlan 1874

Reverend Father George Northgraves 1884

Reverend Father William J. Doherty, S.J. 1894

Reverend Father John Hogan 1907

Reverend Father Thomas Ford 1908

Reverend Father E. J. Hodgkinson 1915

Reverend Father Leo J. Power 1921

Reverend Father J. H. Chisholm 1921

Reverend Father J. E. Pageau 1935

Reverend Father Earl J. McMahon 1935

Reverend Father A. F. Scalisi 1938

Reverend Father E. L. Tierney 1943

Reverend Father Patrick Donovan 1946

Reverend Father E. R. Glavin 1948

Reverend Father William Morris 1949

Reverend Father James Hollerhead 1956

Reverend Father J. N. Bagatto 1959

Reverend Father Joseph Mariani 1965

Reverend Monsignor W. S. Morrison 1970

Reverend Father J. Klezjeck 1971

Reverend Father J. E. Blonde 1974

Reverend Father J. Denys 1976

Reverend Father R. J. Morrissey 1977-1981

Reverend Father Matthias Wronski 1983-1985

Reverend Father Robert Cartwright 1985

Reverend Father Joseph Nevett 1986-1989

Reverend Father Raymond J. Masse 1989-1993